Friday, April 4, 2008

McCain's Courage

Today our city received a lot of attention in the news besides our beloved Memphis Tigers getting ready for the Final Four today is the 40th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr. being assassinated and the presidential candidates came to our city and visited the Hotel where he was shot. From what I saw on the news only Hillary Clinton and John McCain came Clinton for a brief moment and McCain came and seemed like he preached to the crowd. It’s kind of ironic because McCain is not known to get the majority of the Black vote (two reasons he’s a republican, and he’s running against a black man, good luck) and I heard that he didn’t vote for Martin Luther King day in the first place 25 years ago and he admitted it to a crowd (of majority black) and apologized for it. I have to respect that it took extreme courage and honor to admit that especially since no one knew about it and his opponents didn’t use it against him. (even I might have stayed quiet) but he isn’t who I would vote for but he gained some respect for speaking and admitting a mistake like that.

1 comment:

Brittney R said...

Yeah I think that's really cool to be able to do that. I know I probably wouldn't have the guts, I don't think a lot of people would. Besides what his political views are, that's a great personality factor to have, and it really does make him respectable.